Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Anacortes Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental Home

It is essential, as an Anacortes property manager, that your tenants feel safe and secure in their rental home. Ensuring a tenant’s safety can lower vacancies and increase the rental property’s cash flow. However, some potentially dangerous conditions can arise without your knowledge if you don’t take extra precautions. Let’s examine five of the most common household hazards that, if left unchecked, could cause serious illness or death to your tenants. To prevent your rental property from posing a hazard to your tenants, it is essential to be aware of these common household hazards and how to prevent them.

Toxic Mold

When a food source, such as cardboard or paper, is present, molds grow in moist areas. Mold often produces a musty odor, which is usually the first sign that most people notice. There are multiple sorts of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but generally harmless to humans. However, black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, can be toxic. Respiratory distress, anaphylactic shock, and allergic reactions are all possible side effects.

The good news is that it is relatively simple to prevent mold growth in rental properties. Mold can be prevented from growing on your property by simply running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms, opening the windows, or installing a dehumidifier in the basement. Consider instructing your tenants about mold prevention and the associated risks. Regularly looking for mold in your home is another important step. If the worst-case scenario occurs and you discover black mold, it is imperative to immediately contact a professional who can remove it safely and fix the source of the moisture that caused the mold in the first place.


Asbestos is unquestionably a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. Asbestos is relatively harmless so long as it is contained within walls or other enclosed areas and is not disturbed. If asbestos is present in the walls of your rental property, you must inform your tenant not to drill holes or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Asbestos could enter the house through even tiny cracks, leading to mesothelioma cancer.

Only trained specialists should remove asbestos. You should not remove asbestos yourself or permit a tenant to do so in order to avoid injury and asbestos-related illness.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another potential hazard that may be present in older rental properties. Prior to its prohibition in 1978, lead paint was widely used in older homes. Even if you have painted over the old paint, as homes age, paint can flake off and expose your tenants’ children, pets, and other family members to toxic lead. In some regions, lead poisoning is also caused by the presence of old pipes.

To avoid lead poisoning, you should conduct a thorough lead inspection of the plumbing and water in your rental property. Also, if your home was constructed before 1978, it’s a good idea to have the paint removed and tested by trained professionals. Painting over lead paint is a temporary workaround, but the only surefire way to ensure that your tenants are lead-safe is to completely strip the old paint from all impacted surfaces.


In the United States, house fires are an all-too-common occurrence. Furthermore, home fires can be fatal. More than 346,000 home fires occur annually on average, resulting in 2,620 civilian deaths. While dryer lint is the main cause of fires that start in the laundry room, oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles are additional significant causes of home fires.

There are several steps you should take to prevent fires in your rental property. First, do all you can to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical issues, and have the dryer vent sanitized annually. Second, educate your tenants on fire safety and offer them fire extinguishers, working smoke detectors, and other essentials. The likelihood that your rental property will catch fire can be significantly decreased by taking these easy steps.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is another typical home hazard. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced when wood, propane, gasoline, and charcoal are burned. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning if the engines and appliances that use these fuels are not properly ventilated. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning may induce nausea, confusion, headaches, and blurred vision. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death in extreme cases.

Through proper maintenance and tenant education, carbon monoxide poisoning may be avoided. If you have any fireplaces or appliances that use any of the above-mentioned fuels, it is essential to service them regularly. Install carbon monoxide detectors all through your rental property to warn you and your tenants of potential dangers. It’s a good idea to explain to your tenants that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space if your rental property has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater on the property. Providing your tenants with a basic education in safety may prevent them from getting sick or worse.

A big job that can take a lot of time is making sure your tenants are safe and healthy. Why not allow specialists to assist? At Real Property Management Teyata, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To learn more about the services we offer, call us at 206-861-5525 or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details